There is a lot to love about Melbourne. It is the second largest city in Australia (population 4 million) and is often said to have a European feel. It is often voted one of the most liveable cities in the world. Melbourne is full of life and wonderfully cosmopolitan with vibrant Italian, Greek, Chinese and Vietnamese neighbourhoods. The climate is temperate with four seasons. Winter is mild and short and summers are warm to very hot.
Melbourne is a sports crazy city. It is home to the Australian Tennis Open and the Melbourne Grand Prix . But the biggest game in town is Australian Rules Football , a game Lionel Messi would NEVER play. One thing you must do is watch a game of Australian football at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) , which can hold around 100,000 people.
Our favourite quartier is St Kilda on the beach - a mix of trendy, cool, music venues full of musicians and artists and a fantastic place to eat and party. Melbourne is Australia’s style capital and home to some of the best food, dining and live music in the country. It is a truly multicultural city, and one of Australia’s top destinations for international students.
The Language House director Garry Littman was born and grew up in Melbourne.
Here are 10 ways to discover Melbourne:
- Watch an Australian rules football match
- Drive down the Great Ocean Road
- Visit the amazing animals at Healesville Sanctuary
- Have breakfast in Acland St , St Kilda
- Go to the St Andrews Community Market (hippy cool), the Queen Victoria Market (huge food selection) or the Camberwell Sunday Market (second-hand trendy)
- Visit the penguins on Phillip Island
- Have breakfast or lunch at Pope Joan in Nicolson St
- Go clubbing at Brown Alley , Ding Dong Lounge , Loop Project Space Bar , New Guernica , Revolver Upstairs
- Eat Italian in Lygon St , Carlton or Vietnamese in Richmond
- Check out the funky cafes in Brunswick St
Impact English College Melbourne
Impact English College was established in Melbourne in 2008 and opened its second campus in Brisbane in 2015.
Melbourne Impact is one of the biggest and most successful schools in Australia with about 650 students and offers a wide range of English language programmes. The excellent Barista /Café English courses places many students in café work.
Melbourne Impact is a member our favourite language organisation - International Association of Language Centres (IALC).
The school has a strict English-Only policy.
Impact Melbourne is the city centre with easy access to public transport and all city facilities.
- General English
- Extreme English
- Barista/Café English
- Business English
- Cambridge Exam Preparation FCE and CAE
- Students residence
- Job club
- Workplace integration program: Barista Kickstart Program and Education Assistant Program
- Impactivites Mondays to Fridays: conversation / pronunciation / writing / Singlish / Exam skills / Job Club
- Explorer club on Wednesdays: Bowling, soccer in the park, barbecue, museums, pub, tennis open, Formula F1, night markets, weekend tours…
- Study help every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the library.
- General English and other courses: 20 hours per week
- Max class size: 16 students
- Average class size: 13 students
- School size: 650 students
- 30 modern classrooms
- Latest computing resources and free Wifi throughout the campus
- Student lounge and kitchen with fridges and microwaves
- Café at Impact
- Optional free classes and activities
- English only policy and great nationality mix
- Great pathway program to leading institutions in Australia
The Language House likes
- Impact Melbourne offers each student a personalised counselling and study plan.
- The excellent Barista/Café English course provides students with the necessary skills to find a job.