We will help you with the important paperwork
  • You are here:
  • Services
  • Visas

We will help you with your visa. Don’t worry. The first thing to do is to check that your passport is valid—at least six months after the date that you plan to return to Europe.

Some visas are a little complicated. Don’t leave your visa to the last moment. No visa, no voyage. Visa processing can take 8 to 12 weeks and most countries will only start the process after the studies have been paid for in full.

Unfortunately, countries change their visa regulations quite often. Here is rough guide.


(French and Italian passport holders have the working holiday visa option)

CH passport:

Tourist visa for maximum 12 weeks of study or less.

  • On-line application.
  • Easy.
  • No work option.

Student visa for 13 weeks or more.

  • On-line application.
  • Complicated.
  • Should be done at least 6—10 weeks before you leave.
  • Work rights 50% (20 hours per week).

FR passport:

  • Same options as above.
  • Also the excellent working holiday visa for 12 months.
  • On-line application.
  • Easy.
  • Can also study for a maximum 17 weeks.
  • Full work rights.

More information: Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection

United Kingdom

More information: UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office


CH and FR passports

Study for up to 6 months.

  • No visa necessary.
  • Must complete an ETA form.

Student visa for study of 6 months or longer.

  • A little complicated.
  • Apply 8—12 weeks before you leave.
  • On-line application.
  • Need a work permit to work.
  • Complicated to work in Canada.

More information: Government of Canada - Visit Canada

  • No visa necessary for CH and FR.
  • Work options.
  • Easy.

More information: Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

New Zealand

Study for maximum 3 months on a Visitor Visa.

  • On line form.
  • Stay for maximum 9 months in NZ.
  • Easy.
  • No work rights.

Student Visa for courses longer than 3 months.

  • A little complicated.
  • Work up to 20 hours per week.
  • Online application.
  • Start application 8—10 weeks before leaving.

Working holiday visa (12 months) For French nationals and several other European countries, not Switzerland.

  • On-line application.
  • Easy.
  • Study for a maximum 24 weeks.
  • Full work rights.

More information: New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovations & Employment

United States

CH and FR passports

Study less than 18 hours per week on tourist visa.

  • Short stays.
  • Normally, relatively simple with biometric passport.

Courses more than 18 hours a week and longer than 3 months.

  • Student visa.
  • Complicated.
  • Should be started at least 10—12 weeks before leaving.
  • You must present papers at US embassy in Berne or Paris.
  • Sometimes there are long waiting times.
  • Patience.

More information: US Department of State - Visas

  • No visa necessary for CH and FR.
  • Easy.

More information: Malta Ministry for Foreign Affairs

South Africa
  • Study permit.
  • Complicated.
  • Lots of paperwork.
  • Start application 10—12 weeks before leaving.
  • All applications must be submitted in person to the nearest South African Embassy.

More information: South Africa Department of Home Affairs