English+ Work

Combine your studies with a job or work experience
  • You are here:
  • Courses
  • English+ Work
English+ work experience or internships

In some countries, it is possible to combine your English studies with work. It depends on the work rights attached to your visa. (Have a look at our visa guide here. Please note that visa and work regulations change regularly).

The good news is that the Swiss, especially, have a very positive reputation as good workers. They are considered honest, hard-working and quick learners.

Most of our schools have job-finding programmes which will help you to prepare for interviews, put together an English CV and even improve your customer service skills. They will point you in the right direction.

You will need at least a B2 level before you will be able to find part-time work.

If you are interested in working as a demi–pair (part–time au–pair) in Australia we can organise your placement before you leave. Read more here.

Here’s a general work guide for CH and FR passport holders:


Student visa: you can work 50% (about 20 hours per week) during the period of your studies and full-time during the breaks. Working holiday visa: French passport holders can work full-time and study for a maximum of 17 weeks.

Typical student jobs in Australia:

  • Picking and packing fruits and vegetables
  • Shop assistant
  • Department store staff
  • Bartender
  • Kitchen hand
  • Waiter
  • Hotel reception
  • Cleaner
  • Gardener
  • Clerical assistant
  • Babysitter/demi-pair
  • Tutor
  • Staff in fast food chain
  • Supermarket staff
  • Cinema staff
  • Translators


Limited work opportunities


Full work rights for Swiss and French

United Kingdom

Full work rights for Swiss and French

United States

No work opportunities

New Zealand

  • Student visa: It is possible to work part-time if you are studying for more than 14 weeks.
  • Working holiday visa: French passport holders can work full-time and study for a maximum of 24 weeks

Something to think about

Before you leave home prepare a CV in English.

If you have a skill or work experience get some references from your employers. Translate them into English before you leave. Translate your certificates or diploma. Present a copy of the original and the English version to your prospective employer.

Go around and talk to people. Knock on doors; red doors, black doors, every door that opens——and present yourself. Ask in cafes/restaurants/shops if they need someone. Ask other students if they know of any jobs or of any students who will be leaving Australia and their part-time job.

Getting a job is not rocket science. You just need determination.

You’re not going to get rich working as a part-time waiter. You will have a little extra spending money and also, most importantly, a much better command of professional English and new bunch of friends and contacts outside of school.