The sunny city of Perth is the capital of Australia’s largest state called Western Australia. Perth is a water city, surrounded by the blue waters of the Indian Ocean and the Swan River. The population is about 1.8 million. It’s a spacious city with lots of parklands, some great beaches and a generally relaxed lifestyle. Perth has become an international education centre over the past 15 years. The city’s English schools and universities attract large numbers of international students. Why? The weather and the wild nature are simply fabulous.
Perth enjoys eight hours of sunshine on average every day. The average temperature in summer is 25 and the average temperature in winter is 15. There are beautiful beaches close to the city centre. Perth is the wind surfing and sailing capital of Australia. There is also a great surf beach close the city. Sounds pretty good, eh?
Milner International College of English is one of the oldest family-owned language colleges in Australia. Warren and Rose Milner founded the school in 1984 and it is still family-owned and operated. The Language House has worked with Milner for more than 15 years. Our student love the school and the Perth lifestyle. Many of our female students work as demi-pairs, which helps to reduce the overall cost.
The five-storey building in the city centre is owned by the school and includes a rooftop jungle garden café. Chief gardener is the school owner Warren Milner.
Milner’s students come from 40 countries - 40% are European, 40% Asian, 15% South American and 5% Middle Eastern. No nationality exceeds 20%.
Milner classes are 23 face-to-face hours a week, more than most other schools. There are also 10 hours of optional free courses a week including free pronunciation classes twice a week. The school runs probably the most extensive schedule of Cambridge exams from the PET through to the Proficiency. It is also a teacher training centre, which is always a good indicator of a quality and skilled teaching staff.
But probably the best news is that Milner offers students FREE gym (fitness centre) membership to all of its students. You can exercise your ‘English brain’ and your muscles at Milner. Students also receive discount cards to use on Perth's trains and buses.
Perth is in the far west of Australia and is sometimes said to the most isolated city in the world. Milner International College of English is in Hay Street, Perth, in the city centre, close to shops and transport.
- Homestay: about 30 minutes travel time from the school
- Student residences: single/twin rooms, student houses and a residence at the school
- General English.
- IELTS Preparation courses.
- Cambridge Exams. PET, FCE, CAE and CPE exam preparation courses run all through the year.
- Average class size: 13
- Maximum class size: 18
- School size: 250 – 350 students
- More than 40 nationalities
- No nationality exceeds 20%
- Free wifi
- Roof garden
- Computer room
- Free Gym Membership
- Free optional pronunciation classes
- Job information and advice
- Demi-pair work
- A job guide is given to each student and access to an employment counsellor
- The school helps students volunteer jobs
- FREE gym membership for all students.
- Surfing lessons, river cruise parties, bbq’s, beer tasting, tennis, golf, rock-climbing and tours.
The Language House likes
- Free membership to a fitness centre for all students. Very nice!
- In the summer, Milner offers surfing lessons on a hot Friday after morning class, followed by a beach barbecue.