Sydney is one of the great cities on our planet. Its energy is young, dynamic and multi-cultural. It has great weather and a real beach and surf culture. Sydney has a population of almost 5 million which means that no matter what your favourite sport, culture or entertainment, you will find it in Sydney. Be careful: The Sydney lifestyle is addictive! Many of our Sydney students go back a second and third time.
Sydney is big. So, we at The Language House work with three quality schools in three different quartiers of this great city. You can study near the mythic Bondi beach, in the city centre or a three minute walk from the idyllic Manly surf beach. Whichever school you choose, Sydney will put a big smile on your face.
Sydney English Language Centre (SELC Australia)
Close to the famous Bondi Beach, surf and the city centre, SELC (pronounced SELK) is a medium-large English school of between 200 and 300 students in Bondi Junction. It is a short bus or train ride to the city centre. Bondi Beach is Sydney’s most famous beach. For the more adventurous you can surf the Bondi waves or simply relax in the dozens of trendy bars and cafes around the beach. (Our favourite cafes for a delicious breakfast are Speedos Cafe and Lox Stock & Barrel ).
SELC is one of our favourite English schools in Sydney. We’ve been working together for 15 years. The Language House is part of the SELC family. Hundreds of our students have studied at SELC. Some of them have fallen seriously in love with Sydney and gone back to study and work. SELC has great teachers and excellent student services and student care led by the indomitable Emma. The schools offer a wide range of English programmes and English exams as well as regular job-finding workshops. SELC has been around for more than 30 years. They know how to teach English and look after students from all over the world. It's a great school to prepare for your CAE exam or start your gap year in Australia.
SELC English college is in Bondi Junction in Sydney’s east. It is close to both the beach and city centre. Bondi Junction is a busy commercial centre with massive shopping centres, international food centres, cinema complexes, fitness centres and trendy cafes and restaurants. If you get up early enough you can have a swim or a surf before your first lesson.
- Homestay: Average travel time 20-30 minutes.
- Student residences: Three student residences from 10 to 20 minutes travel time from the school.
- General English
- Cambridge exam preparation FCE, CAE, CPE
- IELTS exam preparation
- English for University
- English for Customer Service
- General English: 20 hours per week plus 1.5 hour optional conversation class and 5 hours of self-study
- Max class size: 15 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- School size: medium-large 200 - 300 students
- 22 classrooms
- Computers and Wi-Fi
- Kitchen and dining area
- Student-operated cafe
- Study centre and computer lounge
- Information and travel desk
- The SELC Kookaburra Club organises social activities such as a monthly welcome party for new students
- Sports activities: football & beach volleyball
- Sightseeing trips in Sydney
- Weekend trips to surfing beaches & Blue Mountains
- Regular movies and trivia nights
- Evening harbour cruise parties
- Special cultural and sporting events
- BBQs on the beach
- Fitness boot camp
- Bowling, tennis, golf and football games
The school has job-finding workshops and actively helps students to find work.
The Language House likes
- The SELC harbour cruise parties are legendary (see photos below).
- SELC also runs a Sport and Fitness Career College