Think of Manchester, and you probably think of football; United and City, Beckham and Rooney. But it’s much, much more than that. Manchester is the second biggest city in the UK with a population of about 2.55 million.
It’s “the capital of the north”. In 2016 the city was named number eight in Lonely Planet’s Top 10 Global Cities. The same year it was also named "Best UK city to live in" for a second year in a row.
A lot of money has been injected into Manchester in the last 15 years, transforming it into a modern, vibrant centre for culture, sport, music, science and shopping.
Manchester has produced some of the best British music - The Smiths, Stone Roses, Oasis, Buzzcocks, New Order, Joy Division… and fabulous film makers like Danny Boyle and Mike Leigh.
But the best news is that the cost of living is much cheaper than London - about 25%–35% cheaper.
The Essential English Centre
The Essential English Centre is an independent, boutique school located in the Manchester city centre. The school has been built on a genuine passion to provide the very best in English language teaching and learning. It’s owned and managed by two experienced teachers and academics - Bairbre Walsh and Jo Wilde. We, at The language House, like the way they run their school. The teaching and services are personalised. Classes are quite small. Everyone is on first names. It’s a great school if you want a caring and nurturing environment.
- Manchester city centre.
- Easily accessible by all public transport and walking distance to all city centre amenities.
- Half-board or full-board option
- Private bedroom
- Average travel time from school 30 minutes
- Full immersion - practise speaking English with your hosts in the evenings and at weekends
- Weekly laundry service
- Clean towels and bedding each week
- An area for self-study
- Special dietary requirements available upon request
- Free Wi-fi
- 15 minutes by bus
- Individual bedroom
- Shared kitchen and bathroom (apartments shared with 2 or 3 other students)
- 24hr Security
- Secure Fob Entry
- 24hr dedicated staff
- Free Wi-Fi
- TV and games room
- Library with free printing facilities
- On-site gym (free for residents)
- Half basketball court
- Fully furnished launderette
- Fitted kitchens: hob oven, fridge, freezer, toaster, kettle microwave
- Hospitality welcome and service
- General English half–day and full–day programmes—15 or 25 hours
- IELTS Exam Preparation
- English for Business
- Cambridge FCE and CAE Preparation
- Academic year programme
- General English: 15 or 25 hours per week
- Max class size: 12 (September—June), 14 (July and August)
- Average class size: 6–8 (September—June), 10–12 (July and August)
- School size: small
- 8 classrooms
- Wifi and computers available
- Study area available
- Job Club—help with CV, how to find a job in Manchester and more
- Volunteer work
- Weekly conversation club
- Trips to museums and galleries
- Regular visits to Manchester United and Manchester City Football Stadiums
- Excursions to Liverpool, York, Chester and more
- Excursions to the Peak District and Lake District
- Cinema nights, bowling, pool, kayaking, horse riding, indoor climbing, indoor snowboarding
The Language House likes
Essential English is the first and only school in Manchester to be a member of Quality English. It’s a small school with quality teaching and a personalised service and small class sizes. They offer “24 hour dedicated staff”. If it’s your first trip away from home, Essential English is a great place to study.