Victoria is the capital of Vancouver Island on Canada’s pacific coast. It’s only 100 kilometres south of the city of Vancouver and not far from Seattle .
It’s also a capital city when it comes to outdoor adventure. If you like the wild outdoors and a hit of adrenaline, then this is the place for you. You can paddle, ski, trek, cycle, fish, glide, sail, abseil and even go whale-watching. It’s a small city—with a wider population of just 380,000. The city has more cycle routes than any other Canadian city.
For the second year in a row, a new study ranks Victoria as the best city to be a woman in Canada. At the time of writing it had a female mayor, and it was also one of the only cities to have more women than men on its council.
Global Village English Centres - GV Victoria
Global Village Victoria school is a well-established school with an excellent reputation for its teaching and programmes. Like Canadians in general, it’s a friendly and positive school. The school attracts student from all over the world aged from 16 to more than 60. The quality of life and the quality of teaching are extremely high. The school offers course flexibility. Students can move between different programmes such as General English, English for Business and Power Speaking. Thousands of students have passed their IELTS and Cambridge (FCE and CAE) exams at the school. Global Village Victoria is both an IELTS and Cambridge exam test centre.
Victoria in on Vancouver Island and is the capital of the province of British Columbia. The Global Village school is in the centre of Victoria, a short walk from the harbour, outdoor cafes, pubs, boutiques, restaurants and shopping malls. Vancouver and Seattle are about two hours from the city.
- Homestay: Friendly families managed by the school. Most homestays are about 20-40 mins by public bus from the school
- Other accommodation: Hotels and furnished guest suites are available as well as seasonal dormitories.
- General English: Full-Time: 30 lessons per week (25 hours per week); Intensive: 25 lessons (21 hours); Part-Time: 20 lessons (16 hours). Courses focus on communicative skills and interactive learning
- IELTS exam preparation (IELTS Test Centre)
- Cambridge English exam preparation: FCE and CAE (Cambridge Test Centre)
- English for Business
- Power Speaking Program
- 50+ Programme: afternoon and weekend activities geared to older students
- English for Academic Purposes: GV pathways to colleges and universities in Canada and the US
- Teen Activity Program: Summer and Winter classes and activities for ages 12-17
- English Plus: Add to your West Coast experience with farmstay, volunteer, yoga, wine & cheese tours and more….
- Max class size: 16 students
- Average class size: 13 students
- Minimum Age: 16+ for adult programs
- Lessons are 50 minutes
- 40 classrooms: all with wifi
- Student lounges, kitchen area; computer lab
- Dedicated teaching staff exceeds required standards with advanced degrees and additional qualifications.
- Language labs and free Wi-Fi
- Diverse student population; over 20 different countries represented each session
- Fully accredited by provincial, national and international regulatory bodies.
Activities scheduled every weekday afternoon/evening and on most weekends
- Sports: curling, ice skating, rock climbing, abseiling, soccer, ice hockey, volleyball and much more
- Theatre, symphony concerts, popular Victoria site such as Butchart Gardens, Beacon Hill Park, Fort Rodd Hill
- Weekend trips to the Rocky Mountains, Seattle in the USA, Gulf Island and Vancouver Island tours
The Language House likes
Victoria a beautiful city – not too big and very friendly - surrounded by the ocean and mountains. There are not too many foreign students. Great school and a fabulous quality of life if you like the great outdoors.