High school programmes in Australia offer a wide range of classic subjects in the field of science, humanities, arts and music, as well as aerospace, marine biology, business, creative industries, engineering, IT, sports, tourism and Australian studies. There are also intensive programmes to improve English language skills. The Language House in Geneva is a registered representative of Education Queensland International, (EQI) a state government body that places international students into the Queensland state school system.
Accommodation: High school students are placed in carefully selected homestay families.
Queensland is a huge state; almost three times the size of France. Queensland has beautiful surf beaches, pristine rainforests, the extraordinary Great Barrier Reef, and Australia’s amazing outback or 'red centre'. Queensland enjoys Australia’s best climate and is known for its active outdoor lifestyle..
We offer a choice of schools throughout the state including the Gold Coast, Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and Cairns in the tropical north.
Students can study for three, six, nine or 12 months or longer in the Queensland high school programme.
For more information click on contact.
Yanara, from the Valais in Switzerland was 15 years old when she began a 12-month course in a high school on the Gold Coast in Queensland.
I arrived in Australia a stranger. I didn't know anyone. I had no idea about what the coming year was going to be like. All I knew was that I wanted to discover this country, the people, I wanted to feel this easy going Aussie lifestyle everyone was always talking about. Here I am, one year later and Australia treated me so well. I got the chance to meet so many beautiful people and to see such breath-taking places. The endless beaches and the crystal-clear water are two of many reasons why I will always be in love with the Gold Coast. I got to visit the most exciting markets, to chat to the friendliest locals and to catch some unbroken waves. During that year, not only my surf skills improve, but also my English got a lot better. Especially, the after-dinner conversations with my lovely homestay is something I won't forget. They treated me as if I was their own and that made my everyday life so easy. It was a good feeling to know you weren't alone in this huge country. Also, the school was very supportive. Merrimac State High School gave me the opportunity to broaden my horizons. I studied marine studies, Australian studies, tourism and I attended hospitality classes. These are all subjects I could only have dreamt of in Switzerland. I learnt heaps of unforgettable stuff, how to cook a traditional Aussie pie or how to sail and fish - but I also got to know more about myself. It definitely is an experience that I will never forget. I will never be completely at home again as a part of my heart will always be in Australia. I must thank my mum and The Language House for supporting me throughout my journey. I had the best time. I am forever grateful.
Yanara, CH, Merrimac High School Queensland Australia
Here are the comments from Yanara’s mother:
Pour ma part, c'était un plaisir de travailler avec ton organisation, toujours serviable et à l'écoute. Les informations venant d'Australie étaient transférées dans les meilleurs délais et vous avez été toujours disponible pour répondre à mes questions. A recommander. Merci encore et plein de succès.
The Language House recommends Queensland as an exotic and safe destination for younger students:
- Excellent choice of quality schools
- A multicultural society
- Natural beauty and a warm sunny climate
- Modern cosmopolitan cities
- Friendly communities
- Beach, rainforest, Great Barrier Reef and outback
- Low-cost living
- Relaxed outdoor lifestyle
- Population of 4.6 million
- Second largest state in Australia
- 16 UNESCO World Heritage listed sites
Our top five high schools in Queensland Australia
The Gap State High School, Mt Coot-tha, 15 minutes from centre of Brisbane.
- Adventure and leadership studies (leadership centre and rock climbing centre on campus)
- Drama, film, music and television, (performing arts centre on campus)
- Graphics and visual arts
- Industrial skills
- Information processing and technology
- Accelerated music programme
- Mandarin Chinese programme
Smithfield State High School, 15 kms from the centre of Cairns.
- Radio broadcasting, management and production
- Outdoor education (canoeing, abseiling, snorkelling, camps, hiking)
- Soccer, basketball and jazz academies
- Innovations programmes (robotics)
- University Aspirations Academy in partnership with James Cook University
- Theatre and dance studios
- Student-run FM radio station
- French and Chinese language courses
Merrimac State High School, Mermaid Waters.
- Marine studies on Heron island
- Master classes for academic achievement
- Personal support for English language learners
- Instrumental music, stage bands and jazz bands language learners
- Leadership development programmes
- Robotics lab
- Confucius classroom
Benowa State High School, Benowa.
- Academic French immersion programmes (first in world competition 2011-2014)
- French language school accredited in France
- Music, dance and sports excellence programmes
- Choirs, orchestras and bands
- Marine science
- Girls’ volleyball team number one in Australia
- International student exchanges
Mountain Creek State High School, four kms from Mooloolaba surf beach.
- IB Diploma Years 10-12
- Academies of dance, drama, music and art
- Top national teams in volleyball, basketball and rugby
- Marine science, snorkelling and boating
- Gym membership with personal fitness trainers
- English support programmes
- Geography courses on Fraser island
- Camps on the Great Barrier Reef
- Japanese and Spanish language programmes
For more information please contact The Language House.