The Byron Bay English language School (BBELS) is in the centre of Byron Bay. The Language House has worked with Michael O’Grady and his team for more than 10 years. We get together at least twice a year. We’ve watched the school grow from a boutique school to a medium-sized school with an excellent reputation. Hundreds of our students have studied at Byron Bay. Many have also worked as demi-pairs. The school has an excellent jobs programme. The school offers a wide range of courses including the Cambridge exams FCE, CAE and the CPE. After school, you can go swimming, surfing, body–boarding, kayaking, diving, horse–back–riding, whale–watching, play beach volleyball, relax with a bit of yoga, make a didgeridoo or just go for a long walk on a beautiful beach and then have a nice cold beer at the Beach Hotel and watch the sun go down. Most students ride bicycles to school. The school is a five-minute walk to the beach. Yes, it’s a good life in Byron Bay. A very good life.
Byron Bay is one hour and 45 minutes by car (170km) south of Brisbane International Airport . It is the eastern most point of Australia. The school is in the centre of Byron Bay and a five-minute walk to the beach.
- Homestay: single, twin and double rooms. Premium homestay with private bathroom.
- Student Houses: single, twin, and deluxe with private bathrooms.
- Hostels and backpackers.
- Private rooms and apartments.
- General English: at least 4 levels
- Cambridge Exams: FCE, CAE and CPE
- IELTS exam preparation
- English + Demi-pair Work
- English + Surf
- English + Diving
- English + Yoga
- English + Yoga Teacher Training
- English + Music
- Private Lessons Programmes
BBELS Job Club helps students to find jobs during or after their studies. Jobs are mostly in hospitality—resorts, cafes, restaurants and pubs.
Farm work: Volunteer placements on WWOOFA (organic) farms. Student receive free accommodation and board in exchange for work on a farm.
- Max class size: 15 students (General English) 14 (Cambridge)
- Average class size: 12 students
- School capacity: 180 Students
- Average Age: 23
- Minimum Age: 16
- Full-time courses: 22.5 hours per week
- Part-time: 15 hours
- 14 air-conditioned classrooms
- TVs + DVD players in classrooms
- Library and self–access Study Centre
- Student computers and free Wi-Fi
- Café Oska —great coffee and delicious food!
- The school is an official Cambridge exam test centre
- Housing Department
- Academic counselling
- School activity officer
- Travel desk and booking service
- Bicycle hire service
Byron Bay is probably the best place in Australia to learn to surf. The school publishes its activity schedule every month with lots of free and paid activities. Here’s a few to dream about:
- Sea kayaking
- Drum classes
- Whale watching
- Beauty therapy
- Card nights
- Guitar classes
- Camping trips
- Fabulous friday night barbecues
The Language House likes
Byron Bay is relaxed and friendly and there is always something to do. There’s no place quite like it. Great for watching–whales, dolphins and people. There’s live music somewhere in Byron Bay, every night of the year. Go on, grab a surfboard…